Home Safety Assessment
Six out of 10 falls take place in the home. Fall proofing the home is a good idea as this is where we spend much of our time, and we tend to move around without thinking about our safety. There are many simple improvements that we can recommend by identifying potential fall hazards to ease your mobility and improve safety.
The home safety assessment is conducted by one of our physical or occupational therapists. We will ‘walk’ the house (interior and exterior) with you and take the time to answer your questions. It all begins with understanding your concerns and where you’ve lost confidence.
Are you struggling with the following?
- Difficulties in the shower area or bathroom
- Accessing the backyard for gardening or tending to your pet
- Vision changes that are causing you to feel less confident and decreasing your mobility
Top Three Fall Hazards in the Home
- Throw Rugs – Not all throw rugs need to be removed, we by no means wish to disrupt the aesthetics of your home, but we can identify workable options to best fit your needs and address safety.
- Inadequate Lighting – Light up your living space by placing night lights in your bedroom, bathroom and hallways. Always turn on lights before going downstairs. If you have diminished vision, Cypress Home Therapy can specifically address low-vision home safety strategies to help with your fall prevention plan.
- Cluttered Pathways – Minute adjustments in furniture placement can make a huge difference with ease of mobility. Awareness of cords and pet toys can minimize trip hazards.
Each home safety assessment visit will last approximately one hour, and you will receive a list of safety recommendations to consider. Our team of physical and occupational therapists can provide community resource information regarding the installation of safety equipment.
If you have any questions or would like to schedule an appointment, please call us and we’ll be happy to help you. Feel free to view, download, or print our 8 Unique Tips to Prevent Falls.
We are fall prevention specialists and our collective goal is to help you stay on your feet!
We serve Ada County and outlying areas. Service to outlying areas may include an additional fee.