Whether you are in your 50’s or 90’s, a fall is one event that you’ll want to avoid. While the embarrassment is enough, the injury potential can create trauma to your body, loss of independence and impact your bank account. Here are a few statistics to shed light on the significance of a fall:
- A fall is one of the greatest contributing factors for the unexpected transition into an assisted living facility (ALF).
- Falling once doubles your chance of falling again.
- 60% of falls happen in the home, 30% in a public place, 10% in health care facilities.
- More than 95% of hip fractures are caused by falling, usually sideways.
- The lifetime cost of a hip fracture is $81,300.
Is This You?
- Have you had a fall this year? Maybe you kept it quiet or maybe a visit to the emergency department was needed.
- You do not currently use a cane or walker, although your family and physician have made recommendations.
- You may have lost confidence and are walking less, or are holding on to furniture and walls for added security.
We Can Help…Let’s Talk About Balance Retraining
Our Balance Retraining program begins with an assessment so that we can identify the source of your balance problems and determine your “starting point.” A balance retraining program for the individual is very different than a balance program for a group. During our dynamic visits, we will work with you one-on-one in a standing position, often with a belt around your waist for added security, as we move through a progression of positions and poses. We also utilize Vestibular Rehab Training (VRT) techniques to tackle vertigo, imbalance, and movement coordination challenges.
The spectrum by which we can safely challenge your equilibrium may range from walking with a walker to a single leg stand on a Bosu Ball. We can also develop a progressive written home program, unique to you. This strategy is designed to help with confidence, independence and aging in place. There is no insurance for aging in place, but this is as close as it gets. If you have questions about our balance retraining program, please give us a call!
Learn More About Our Home Safety Screenings and Fall Prevention services